The club has VIP pass with Virtual Regatta Inshore and so we are able to setup a a virtual series so we can still get some racing. The current plan is to schedule racing for 21:00 on Sunday and Wednesday evenings, however we are going to start off with an Easter Monday Kick off race. Each evening we will host three races, and will then record the results and combine them into a series.
The Virtual Racing app works on most platforms so you are not limited to just phone or PC. MS, Android and IOS systems all work although there are some issues with processor age and platform (Firefox, safari, explorer etc) affecting speed of response and frequency of dropouts. It is good to have a seperate communications route for discussion and chat during the racing, and we are going to initially try this with Zoom.
To take part you will need to:
- Register (free) on Virtual Regatta (https://www.virtualregatta.com/en/) clicking on the Inshore box and registering (DO NOT register on Offshore for club racing as this is a different group altogether). This will ask you to choose a Pseudonym (Pseudo) which is your chosen boat name (this transfers from boat to boat as you sail different classes) and this name identifies you in the races.
- Download Zoom app onto the device(s) you intend to use.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org to let him know that you are planning to join
- Read the tips and watch the Videos from the RYA on their Virtual Regatta Page
- The Zoom invite will be emailed out to interested parties just prior to the planned start time
- The code to join the LSC race will be either in the email, or on the Zoom Call
- Log in to the Virtual Regatta and enter the code to join the locked race.
- Have Fun
We will need to be flexible to get this working, and may need to change the plan depending on feedback, so please let us know how things are working.